Monday, April 09, 2007

Holy smokes it's The Book

I can't believe it. Finally. The Book. The Book that has been eating away at me. The Book that I could only vaguely remember. The Book that in my humble opinion, screwed me over big time.



Jeanie wrote about her book tonight. She had the same one. And so did her mom. And so did so many of our parents. Holy smokes this box set must have been burning up the presses back in the day.

It's funny because I remembered it as more grey and pink, but once I saw the pictures, the orange immediately came to mind.

Holy crap The Book.

I have chills, seriously. I am sitting here with my mouth agape, silent tears going down my face, staring at these things again.

How many of you all had The Book?

HOLY SHIT IT'S THE BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you Jeanie!!

I don't think I can coherently blog about why seeing these again are so important to me, but it's triggering multiple exploding synapses in this old brain. We lost these books when I was around 6. My book was dog eared and falling apart from having been read so many times. I wasn't allowed to look at my owners parent's manual. Only mine.

Oh my god. The Book.

Daddy wanted Mommy for his wife. Mommy wanted Daddy for her husband. And now both of them wanted you for their child. Choosing a child is called adopting a child. And the minute they saw you, they wanted to adopt you.


Y'all do realize, don't you, that as soon as Jeanie posted the title of this horrid set 'The Adopted Family' that within two minutes I had purchased a set of them from a used book dealer, don't you? And y'all do realize that as soon as they are received, I'm scanning them so you newfangled youngins' can see what you missed out on, right? Stay tuned, fans of the absurd. Really gross things on this blog soon!

20 complaints from ingrates:

Newlyorphaned April 9, 2007 at 10:53 PM  

No thank you kindred soul!

LeRoy Dissing April 9, 2007 at 11:23 PM  

I have never seen these books Theresa but I am sure I will see parts of them on your blog. Those were the "good old days" - NOT! Yet I am sure some folks would find those books "quaint". I wonder if society as a whole as really evolved that much in their view of adoption since those books were published?

Newlyorphaned April 9, 2007 at 11:30 PM  

I got to thinking you must have found them on ebay or something and had the same thought about buying a copy! PLEASE send me a copy!

Ungrateful Little Bastard April 9, 2007 at 11:45 PM  

There's a whole bunch of them on eBay. As soon as I get them though, I do have a flatbed scanner, and I'll do both of them in Adobe so the quality should hopefully be good but the file size will be small.

Lee I've got to tell you, I am burning with curiosity to see what was in the Parent's book, because i was specifically NOT ALLOWED to read that. I learned to read at a very early age and the book was purposely kept on the highest bookshelf in the library so I couldn't even pull a chair up to the bookshelves to get it. I know when I was very little I loved the kids book and slept with it and read it over and over, but when I was a teen the memory of the book would bring about this incredible irrational rage.

I am very interested in what my emotional reaction will be once these are received.

BethGo April 10, 2007 at 12:50 AM  

We had those books growing up!

Julie April 10, 2007 at 1:34 AM  

Well now I feel REALLY old. I had "The Chosen Baby," published in 1939. Horrid thing.

Possum April 10, 2007 at 2:25 AM  

ooooooo - the secret a-parents book.
Can't wait to find out what lies within..........

Ungrateful Little Bastard April 10, 2007 at 8:17 AM  

Julie for the life of me I can't remember which book it was, but I do remember seeing in one book or another how these books were so celebrated and congratulated for being so superior to "The Chosen Baby". I haven't seen that one but I have heard oh so special things about it.

Beth & Possum now we get to know what they told our parents about us!!!

Jamie April 10, 2007 at 11:54 AM  

Whoa! Looking forward to the really gross and absurd scans of "the book."

Couldn't look at the Owner's manual? Holy cow!

It kind of makes me wonder if any of my books now will have such strong emotional attachments for my kids. Hmmmmmm.

Jamie

Ungrateful Little Bastard April 10, 2007 at 10:12 PM  

Jamie another book that always gets me with a positive emotional attachment is the finest bit of children's literature ever written, no matter what those snobs at newberry children's award say:

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish.

From memory:

Look what we found
in the park,
in the dark.
We will take him home.
We will call him Clark.

He will live at our house,
he will grow and grow.
Will our mother like this?
We don't know.

And on the page were these two really pleased with themselves looking kids carring this huge liquid filled glass vat with a creepy monster inside. I adore that book.

gmcountrymama April 11, 2007 at 9:51 AM  

I don't remember a book, but the story is the same.

Mommela April 11, 2007 at 10:19 AM  

OHMYGOODNESS! We had these in our elementary school library and I remember reading them there. I found them oddly fascinating.

mia,  April 11, 2007 at 11:27 AM  

Tapping my foot here! Where are these golden books?! My life will not be complete until I can read these books. I suspect SO much will finally make sense to me! My wound healing depends on this Theresa, don't let me down. I HAVE to know "the rest of the story". ;o)

Ungrateful Little Bastard April 11, 2007 at 12:43 PM  

GM take a peek at Julie's blog. She's got a few scans of The Chosen Baby up there. I wonder if that will trigger any memories?

Mommela oddly fascinating is definitely the right word for them. I wonder what they did with the parent's book at your elementary school

Patience Mia!! All will be revealed in due time: the timing of the US Mail Media Mail delivery timetable LOL. Unfortunately the seller didn't use priority mail. Probably sometime next week I'll get them, and I'll get the super secret book up on the web so we all can see!! Better get a few extra large bandages though. I have a feeling what's in the parent's book is going to be the total anthesis of wound healing. Ooohh Nellie, I think it's gonna be good.

Rebecca April 11, 2007 at 12:47 PM  

god how things have changed... and still, we fight to learn who we are. Awesome blog... will read as much as I can before the sleep trolls claim me for the day. Peace, Beki

Nina April 13, 2007 at 11:29 PM  

ULB!!!!

You found MY book! You solved the BIG mystery. The grey books rimmed w/pinkish red. I've been looking and looking and never thought I'd find them. THANK YOU!!! Okay...so excited. Too excited. Now going to go back and read your reactions. So overwhelmed. Holy Smokes!

Ungrateful Little Bastard April 14, 2007 at 1:00 AM  

Nina you had it too!!!! We fourty-somethings had the good one, huh? Did YOU get to see the super secret parent's book? If not you soon will. It's on it's way!! Tee hee hee I'm so excited!

I didn't think I'd ever find them either. That image really sticks with you. It's funny because in my memory the cover was like cloudy grey, but now as I see in the picture it's more of a wood pattern

elizabeth April 21, 2007 at 8:06 PM  

Sorry, never heard of these books, never seen them.

I was supposed to forget that I had been adopted.

Ungrateful Little Bastard April 21, 2007 at 8:48 PM  

I hear you E. Here's to doing what we weren't supposed to do.

I'm a Fan of Adoptee Rights


I Digg Adoption News

All adoption news

Adoption news RSS feed

Don't like feeds or widgets? Rather read the news in a blog format? Here you go.

Who I'm Stalking


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP