Tuesday, April 24, 2007

What does an adoption bill hearing look like?

Watch here for SB221. Fast forward to the 38 minute mark.

And watch here for HB525. Fast forward to the 50 minute mark.

Extremely emotional testimony.

What kind of heartless fools turn down these bills?

---------------------------------------
Edit 6/5/08


As this old post is getting so many hits, thought I'd update it a bit. I'm not ashamed of my lack of knowledge when I put this post up, nor am I ashamed of my uninformed acceptance of compromise measures at this point. It stands to show the progress of my education, and reminds me how much I still have to learn. I appreciate all the traffic though, it shows me that I should have put this edit before.

5 complaints from ingrates:

Amyadoptee April 24, 2007 at 4:51 PM  

What is sad is that this bill is still a mother may I bill. They are currently making it prospective only from 2008 forward. REally nice of them. Bill Betzen is still doing the Gladney protest. I think they should just pull the thing. Knowing adoptees' luck in Texas, Gladney will put this bill forward.

Ungrateful Little Bastard April 24, 2007 at 4:59 PM  

Amy you're incredible - I learn so much from you. Thanks for posting that. I thought from listening to it that it was an issue where everyone got their certificate unless the mother had filed that she didn't want contact.

The idea of putting year limits on these bills is as preposterous as all the other things.

For me it was an education just watching it. I've obviously seen bill hearings before in my life, but never one that I had such an emotional connection to; even though it's not my state.

Julie April 25, 2007 at 2:00 AM  

Am I missing something? Both links seem to be the same video. Heard testimony from 4 or 5 people including that AWFUL Heidi Cox and heard all the sucking up to her and Gladney.

No matter. It's just pathetic that this even has to be an issue. How can they look people in the eye - ADULTS - and tell them they have no right to their own information?

Ungrateful Little Bastard April 26, 2007 at 5:03 PM  

I think I had the link wrong before. I fixed it

BB Church May 1, 2007 at 1:08 AM  

deliver us from lawyers and social workers... I got as far as Betzen telling the committee how wonderful it will be when "birthmothers" can file disclosure vetoes and I think: with friends like this, who needs Heidi Cox? Of course she is a piece of work and a caution to a christian, but at least I know who she's working for...

I'm a Fan of Adoptee Rights


I Digg Adoption News

All adoption news

Adoption news RSS feed

Don't like feeds or widgets? Rather read the news in a blog format? Here you go.

Who I'm Stalking


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP