Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Anatomy 101

13 complaints from ingrates:

Judy,  June 12, 2007 at 7:56 PM  

That's very true.

But I have a confession to make: even some of us who like to seem (pretend?) we're cool make some of these mistakes and learn the hard way. Oh yes, yes we do.

Interesting lesson I learned. I'll blog about it when you won't be able to see the blushing through the computer wires because it's one of those: "please don't do what I did and here's why" things. Oh yeah.

Newlyorphaned June 12, 2007 at 8:16 PM  

Yes they do and your about to find that out! Keep the faith~

MomEtc. June 12, 2007 at 8:21 PM  

I really never took it that literally. I always took it as an expression of the depth of love a parent has for a child.

However, I avoid saying things like this around my daughter, because I don't want to hurt her. I wouldn't have known this if no one told me.

Judy,  June 12, 2007 at 9:21 PM  

mometc., that's how I took it too. But I made the mistake of saying it out loud, and of course I should have known better because I do know how literal kids are. And he was -- my son. He did take it literally, and well . . . . I had to backpedal. Bigtime. BIG.TIME.

Therein lies the problem with expressions like these, IMHO. *sigh*, oh yeah.

Big mistake on my part. Lesson learned the hard way. Ooops.

Michelle June 12, 2007 at 9:43 PM  

Yes kids do not know any better. My daughter takes every single dang thing I say litteraly. No sugar coating. Honesty, trust and communication go so much further.

BethGo June 12, 2007 at 11:41 PM  

Ha! Ha!
That is excellent!!! Can I use this as my avatar?

MomEtc. June 13, 2007 at 8:27 AM  

Judy - I'm glad you said that because I wasn't even thinking about how my dd (2) would respond now. I was thinking more how she'd respond later on. I can't imagine trying to explain to a little one that it's not literal. That musn't have been easy!

judy,  June 13, 2007 at 9:35 AM  

mometc., he was 4 or 5 before he asked about it in a way that I had to backpedal.

It certainly does "feel" like they grow in our hearts since our hearts are full to overflowing with our love for them -- in my very own humble opinion. But to put that into words to them -- and I did it with honest and true intentions -- is something that just shouldn't be done.

Ungrateful Little Bastard June 14, 2007 at 9:08 AM  

Of course you can Beth.

It's funny, not funny ha-ha but funny interesting, the change in consciousness. These phrases like grow in the heart, gotcha day, etc. they get repeated and become part of the language.

One of my mom's lines to me was 'You were the only baby in the nursery with naturally curly hair'. Which was true, ok, but as a little girl I took that to mean that I was somehow picked out of a line of babies because I had curly hair. And then I got in trouble for taking what she said literally. Go figure.

ULB. Raising consciousness one image macro at a time.

Anonymous,  June 15, 2007 at 12:24 AM  

I have a beautiful grandson that yes is adopted and I have to say that my love for him grew from within my heart and continues to this day. Why are so many of you against an adopter for having love from the heart...and yes there are many many many aparents who feel this way. Do many of you really think that all this hate is going to help you in your journeys and really bring you happiness? I feel sorry for so many of you.

fully operational battle station June 15, 2007 at 1:55 AM  

This made me laugh and laugh. I hear this ALL the time, especially on "Adoption Stories" on TLC (which by the way, you would hate).

I can't handle this phrase and I swore I would never use it because it is so cliche now and um, you know, not true. Just keepin it real.

It looks like Anonymous feels sorry for you. I guess that's good to know. Everyone can use a little pity every now and then, right? Some people, it takes a long time before they get it....

Ungrateful Little Bastard June 15, 2007 at 10:34 AM  

OMG I didn't even know there was such a show. I'm so going to have to watch that and make my own version some day.

And poor Anon. A for effort, but D- for reading comprehension. They need to see me after class.

I'm a Fan of Adoptee Rights


I Digg Adoption News

All adoption news

Adoption news RSS feed

Don't like feeds or widgets? Rather read the news in a blog format? Here you go.

Who I'm Stalking


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP