Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Does anyone know anything about this children's book?

Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech



I checked the author's website to see where she got the idea for the book. After reading it, I felt sure that the author was either an adoptee, or a mom, or knew someone close to her who was either, but I don't see that on the website. Anyone know?


Major spoiler alert here, but two very intriguing characters are an adoptee and his mom in first contact.



My husband has been teaching this book in his middle school class for more years than I can remember now. There's always a pretty lively adoption discussion when the climax is reached that a mysterious young man is actually the son of a character who, quite suddenly and unexpectedly, begins to act rather distracted when he appears on the scene.



Abebech at A New Flower Blooms has an interesting book on her blog today, Marianne Novy's Reading Adoption: Family and Difference in Fiction and Drama



I've added it to my wish list; I hadn't heard of that one before. I always find it interesting how adoption is portrayed in fiction.


Oh. and speaking of people acting rather distracted...



13 complaints from ingrates:

MomEtc. June 6, 2007 at 2:00 PM  

Sending you lots of good vibes and positive thoughts. (((hugs)))

jim,  June 6, 2007 at 2:08 PM  

OMG Theresa, I know exactly how scared you are! I've been a wreck since mailing my letter to my brother, the fact that I've yet to receive a response is tearing me apart.
I am praying for a loving and speedy reply for you.

Jim

Paula O. June 6, 2007 at 2:54 PM  

Sending you the biggest hugs and most heartfelt thoughts that I can muster. I'm thinking of you, Theresa.

abebech June 6, 2007 at 2:54 PM  

Thinking of you all the time.

Judy June 6, 2007 at 4:41 PM  

I'll be thinking of you so very much and wishing for only the best.

I've heard of that book that Abebech mentioned, but haven't read it. I think it's one of the many on my list. I just can't read that many books about adoption in a row. I take looooong breaks.

Andie D. June 6, 2007 at 5:25 PM  

I haven't read ANY adoption books besides a really shitty one that is supposed to be a guide to realistic reunions. My advice is to simply go with your gut when it comes to reunion.

I know that feeling about being scared. You took the first step, and that's a great big ass accomplishment. You will get through this.

suz June 6, 2007 at 8:56 PM  

you get all the slack you need and want and oodles of hugs and hope and good wishes too!

Simon Bell June 7, 2007 at 3:27 AM  

Don't know what to say....thinking of you...hope you get a reply soon...

Anonymous,  June 7, 2007 at 4:31 PM  

My mom mailed her first letter to my half-sister this week, so I can imagine how this must be for you.

You are so brave.

Chgored

mama2roo,  June 7, 2007 at 10:00 PM  

Wow, Theresa--big step. DId you remember to breathe when you put it in the mailbox?? I'll be thinking about you.

Ungrateful Little Bastard June 7, 2007 at 10:51 PM  

Thank you everyone.

Chgored, your mom is so brave too.

Andie I wonder if the book I just got is the same one you read. I had ordered one Reunion guide but it really stunk. Also they heavily pushed the CI angle so much it left me flat.

Going Back to Square One June 8, 2007 at 10:20 AM  

Ohh...thinking of you.

I've hated the comments being off here, even though you didn't want any...I've thought of you a thousand times!

I hope you don't have to wait long.

Ungrateful Little Bastard June 8, 2007 at 12:27 PM  

Thanks. They were off because I was feeling guilty about being a bad comment buddy. I'm still a bad comment buddy but it's easier to just leave them on.

I'm a Fan of Adoptee Rights


I Digg Adoption News

All adoption news

Adoption news RSS feed

Don't like feeds or widgets? Rather read the news in a blog format? Here you go.

Who I'm Stalking


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP