Monday, June 25, 2007

yoName

This is a good little site to add to your search bookmarks.


yoName will search across multiple social networking sites. As of today, the list is below. I'd expect more sites to be added as time goes by. This is a keeper.

Bebo Digg FaceBook Friendster Hi5 Last.fm LinkedIn LiveJournal Match MySpace Rediff Tagged Twitter Webshots Windows Live Spaces Xanga Yahoo YouTube

You can search by email address, username, or first and last name combo. It does a pretty good job too. Quite the timesaver for those of us who have a name, but not a lot of time to wade through multiple sites searching.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edit 9:30 AM. I'm amending this post a bit. I was going to add this as a reply comment but thought it would be better up here. This is without a doubt a fantastic search resource, but just be aware it can be triggering and upsetting when you find a match. I speak from personal experience as I found a cousin on both Myspace and Facebook. To see someone you are related to, but who does not know you exist, is an incredibly lonely feeling.

Adoption doth suck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edit 2 - 11:24 AM. OK I really gotta test these things before posting. You know me, no self control. Anyway, if you put in an email address to search, it will email the account to let them know someone is being nosy. Thanks to MagicPointeShoe for pointing that out!! Here's what the email they get looks like. Good news at least - it doesn't show your location the way ZabaSearch will if someone is monitoring that.




9 complaints from ingrates:

Possum June 25, 2007 at 8:13 AM  

oooo - thank you for that wee searching device my dearest techno friend.
Shall bookmark it indeed!!!
You're a very helpful bastard - do ya know that??!!
Love ya.
Poss. xxx

Possum June 25, 2007 at 8:16 AM  

FUCK - I just found my sister on there.
FUCK.

Ungrateful Little Bastard June 25, 2007 at 8:46 AM  

Oh crap Possum, what did you find?

Possum June 25, 2007 at 9:13 AM  

Sorry about the freak-out!!
It's the first name I put in - my 30yr old kept sister - it's her - birth dates & everything match.
How spooky - she signed in for the first time to Facebook last week - and so did I.
FREAKY.
No photos posted yet - but it's a new account - and she's just started to add friends.
I so want to hit the 'Request Friends' button - but as she's never replied to my letter - I feel I don't have the right.
THAT SUCKS.
I've found her details previously on Schoolfriends.com - and her husband - and the names of her 2 daughters. But this means I might actually get to see photos.....
I hate adoption - and now I'm really sad.
FUCK.

Ungrateful Little Bastard June 25, 2007 at 9:37 AM  

I'm so sorry. That torn feeling between wanting so much to see them, and the pain when you finally do.

Adoption bites the big one.

magicpointeshoe June 25, 2007 at 11:15 AM  

I vanity searched for myself just to see what it had. It's odd how it emails the address you search to give a heads up that someone is being nosy. =o/

Ungrateful Little Bastard June 25, 2007 at 11:23 AM  

EEK! HOLY CRAP! Note to self: beta test PRIOR to posting. Good point - I'll add that. Thanks!!

Possum June 26, 2007 at 1:39 AM  

SHIT - I put in A's email address.
CRAP CRAP CRAP..........
ICK.

Ungrateful Little Bastard June 26, 2007 at 10:07 AM  

I hear you Possum. I wish that had made that A LITLE MORE FREAKING CLEAR on the page before we did it. I know I put in a few email addreses before I knew. At least it doesn't say what IP or location the search came from though. I think most people will think it's a marketing ploy.

I'm a Fan of Adoptee Rights


I Digg Adoption News

All adoption news

Adoption news RSS feed

Don't like feeds or widgets? Rather read the news in a blog format? Here you go.

Who I'm Stalking


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP