Friday, August 31, 2007

Oh jeeze thanks, Illinois!

I saw this first when it was posted to the Chosen Babies mailing list and couldn't really get my head around it.

At first I wondered if maybe it was a joke posting. I didn't have time to read it in depth.

But no, no joke posting. It's official. Swiped this from Wraith's blog.

If you're an Illinois bastard and your adoptive public service parents kick the bucket, guess what? You can now receive the same death benefits as real kids! Wow!

Of course, that's if your adoptive parents don't cut you out of the will or trust when you disappoint them as an adult. The right to be a pension plan beneficiary and actually being a pension plan beneficiary are mutually exclusive. Those of us in the Disinherited Bastard Brigade know of whence I speak.

But anyway, Illinois, welcome to the year 2007!

5 complaints from ingrates:

suz August 31, 2007 at 10:12 AM  

i am fairly active in monitoring and participating in the changing of illinois law (my daughter was born there). rep sara feigenoltz is an adoptee herself and really has done alot to make change there. there is tons to do and it happens in baby steps and sometimes not the way we want but it is happening.

abebech August 31, 2007 at 6:03 PM  

"Some codes previously denied benefits to adopted children."
wtf is right. Glad there are people making changes to arcane laws.

margaret,  August 31, 2007 at 6:07 PM  

First, I'm shocked at this. Who would ever think that adopted children don't have exactly the same rights to benefits that bio kids get?

Second, I'm wondering what other kind of whacked out laws exist out there. DH and I haven't done our wills yet. Should we both croak in a car accident or something I don't want our kids getting fucked.

gmcountrymama September 1, 2007 at 5:54 PM  

I never even thought about that. I just figured I would get benefits like real children. I have my adads will but not my amoms.

Ungrateful Little Bastard September 2, 2007 at 3:39 AM  

I'm not knocking Rep Feigenoltz, more the fact it had to be done in the first place. Illinois is all hip hip hurray about separating babies and moms, but the fact that this needs to be passed into law shows how little adoptees are regarded once we're past that cute and cuddly stage. I'm with abebech - I'm glad she's working to make changes, but holy smokes Illinois -- wtf?!?

Margaret - I think a lot too depends on the attitudes of those with a stake to gain, so to speak. I've heard of siblings of adoptive parents being all 'oh this child is a member of our family' blah blah blah but when something happened to the adoptive parents suddenly things got real nasty. Also death makes people go bonkers for a bit as well. I think the best thing is both a will and a trust. The problem becomes deciding who you want to trust as executor/trustee.

I'm a Fan of Adoptee Rights


I Digg Adoption News

All adoption news

Adoption news RSS feed

Don't like feeds or widgets? Rather read the news in a blog format? Here you go.

Who I'm Stalking


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP