Monday, September 17, 2007

14,000 glowing reviews

And of course I have to be the grumpy one.

I, for one, don't believe I'm looking forward to it. It appears like I'm the only blogger who feels this way. Yay for individuality.

But that's OK because there's like 13,842 people who are looking forward to it very much.

I'm all about the comedy, but only when it's coming from those who know. Otherwise, it sets my teeth on edge.

Maybe because I read a spoiler review over at the imdb database. And I read the ending from someone who had seen it at a film festival. Now unless that person is a liar, I'm really dismayed at what those who've seen it consider to be a 'heartwarming ending'.

Probably because I've had just about all the adoption heartburn I can handle.

I don't see anything heartwarming or funny about a young mother facing future PTSD.

I don't see anything heartwarming or funny about a future adoptee.

I'm really scared, because I think this movie is going to be very good and very popular, hell, if it's managed to get close to 14K in blog posts just a few days after the trailer is released, can you imagine what kind of attention this movie is going to get. Roger Ebert practically had a coronary from love over it and has already declared it the second coming of Christ. OK not really, but close enough. Anyway I just can't help associating December releases with pregnant teenagers.

Can you imagine what the official film website is going to look like as it gets closer to the release date? Will be a link there to somplace like Bethany or Holt or Gladney? Will the film's myspace page suddenly be deluged by myspace baby trollers?

I'm not even putting the name of the movie in my blog post, lest someone else blogsearching the movie name comes here and tells me how whacked I am for not thinking adoption is a beautiful loving choice or it's just a movie.

I know it's just a movie.

But you know, it's not going to be 'just a movie'. It's going to be a GREAT movie. It's going to be really, really good if you don't know diddlysquat about adoption. It's got a great writer. It's got a great director. It's got a great cast. It's got a great soundtrack.

Damn.

I just wish the great writer and the great cast and the great director and the great soundtrack could have made a great comedy about something else.


10 complaints from ingrates:

justenjoyhim/judy September 17, 2007 at 8:00 PM  

If it makes you feel better, only about 30 of those are actually for the movie -- the rest are "false hits" -- you know the stupid-ass things that google pops up with when you type something in that should be straight-forward.

So, it will probably go up in time, but for now doesn't have that many.

I have no opinion on it yet since I've only read the little blurbs on it and I can't judge things before I see/read them. It's the librarian in me ;).

suz September 17, 2007 at 8:55 PM  

i think i just vomited a bit in my throat. all the more reason why someone, somewhere, needs to write a real documentary about this horror we are all living.

Heather.PNR September 17, 2007 at 11:18 PM  

Did I read correctly that the plot involves a love triangle with the girl and the prospective adoptive father? That's...creepy.

It will be too bad if it turns out to make a mess of the whole subject; it has some of my favorite actors in it.

Jason and Mikyung September 17, 2007 at 11:32 PM  

Thanks for all your comments! During the middle of the craziness that is production in Korea, our editor told us about your blog and that you had written about us. So I have been meaning to write you back for some time! I am not adopted myself, but as producer your blog is an amazing resource about adoption and I am sure I will be visiting often.
- Mikyung

joy September 18, 2007 at 1:04 AM  

oh it is awful, I can't even look I say the youtube and the comments I saw looked like shills and the common conception that young moms don't actually care about their offspring, like you have to hit a certain age first?

What is that age?

Erika September 18, 2007 at 2:06 AM  

unfortunately hollywood and the media has yet to begun telling the real truth about adoption.

when you think about it,the same usual myths are perpetuated and society is repeatedly told its a good thing.

i've yet to see a portrayal that was true to life.thats it.im sending my book to oprah and any hungry film student who'll take it.

booooooo!!!

Jenna September 18, 2007 at 3:53 PM  

I'm a grumpy blogger about it, too. No. Thank. You. The more research I do on the movie (hit up ew.com and search for juno) and the writer (google her blog) ... well, the more I think that this is going to be very, very upsetting for many touched by adoption.

Being Me September 18, 2007 at 5:21 PM  

So what about a sequel? If it's going to be such a "great" movie, I want a sequel! How do we get that? So they've started out with the usual crap, the koolaid common knowledge blankity blank blank. But how about later? A couple years down the road? I guess I should find out who this author is and send her a fan letter asking for some follow up.

Ungrateful Little Bastard September 18, 2007 at 10:19 PM  

Well for those who don't care about spoilers, you can read the end of the movie at the imdb board here

http://tinyurl.com/2ac5yx

It's towards the end by a poster named collins

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And Mikyung thanks for stopping by!! I am SO looking forward to YOUR movie!!

Robin September 18, 2007 at 10:25 PM  

Yeah... I thought I was the only one too, but obviously you're not alone. I may have to get some non-virtual protest signs... :( too bad. waste of good movie potential.

I'm a Fan of Adoptee Rights


I Digg Adoption News

All adoption news

Adoption news RSS feed

Don't like feeds or widgets? Rather read the news in a blog format? Here you go.

Who I'm Stalking


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP