Tuesday, September 11, 2007

This is an invisible post for invisible adoptees only

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it TYPICAL that at a Meet the Adoption Bloggers panel, there are no freaking adoptees?!!!???!!!???!!!!???


Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet... invisible as always.


Seriously I wish I could go to this and I'm thrilled that some of my favorite bloggers are going to be there and everything, but man. I just think it's so typical.

Especially when, in the context of a conference on... what was it again? Oh yeah, adoption. Does that involve us at all, I can't remember.

There was a great thread over at AFC (which I wimped out on answering but completely agree with the consensus) about who people consider the best, most informed bloggers. But I can't remember what it is they blog about. I don't think it's about adoption. Adoptees don't know anything about that. I think they blog about scrapbooking.

Now someone tell me I read the brochure wrong and I missed someone who actually is an adoptee and I'll totally claim mea culpa and everything. Or more likely - blame it on my bad eyes.

16 complaints from ingrates:

justenjoyhim/judy September 11, 2007 at 5:07 PM  

Do you mean the speakers? I couldn't find any list of who would be at the Meet The Bloggers yet.

There are speakers who are adoptees. Maybe I'm missing the program/panel you're talking about.

Ungrateful Little Bastard September 11, 2007 at 5:14 PM  

Oh yeah I know there are awesome adoptees speaking, but this is a separate bloggers panel. It's awesome - Claud, Margie, the Fleasbiting folks, but argh, no adoptees.

justenjoyhim/judy September 11, 2007 at 6:25 PM  

Where's the list? I didn't see it.

I think Margie is putting this together; I don't know if she has it finalized yet.

If it's the one I'm thinking of and she's doing it, I KNOW she would want adoptees on it and if it is the one, she probably just hasn't had any come forward or agreed to it.

Again, this is IF it's what I'm thinking about and IF it's finalized, etc. etc. ????

Or I could just be talking out of my ass.

But by all means, check with her, just in case.

Possum September 11, 2007 at 7:47 PM  

mmmmmmmmmm - this is NOT right.
Adoptees have been ignored and pushed to the side for so very very long.
I do hope that our voice in the blogosphere will finally be acknowledged.
PFFFT
Poss. xx

Third Mom September 11, 2007 at 8:26 PM  

Hi, all, as I'm working on this conference on speaker coordination, I'm familiar with what has happened here. Adoptees have been invited to participate, but none have accepted - but the conference is working to put that right. The challenge is travel costs - the conference can't reimburse. We're working on additional funding to cover these, and hopefully the imbalance will be corrected very soon!!

And you bet I'll pass these concerns on, as they are incredibly important!!

suz September 11, 2007 at 8:55 PM  

hmm, curious who aafc considers an informed blogger. i dont read there (it hurts me too much) but i always like good bloggers. if you have some good recommends, let me know.
and this was not invisible to bloglines...and also glad margie spoke up. i suspected it to be the case. margie and claud would NOT overlook adoptees.

Sweetnlow September 11, 2007 at 10:18 PM  

Hey this doesn't have to do with your post, but I'm having a hard time getting music on my music widget! I dont understand what kind of file its looking for...?

Andie D. September 12, 2007 at 4:36 PM  

There is a "Meet the Adoption Bloggers Panel"? For what? Where? What am I missing?!?!?!?

Ungrateful Little Bastard September 12, 2007 at 5:21 PM  

Andie it's for Donaldson's & Ethica's Adoption Ethics Conference in VA. It's on my Upcoming widget down in the lower right if you want the details - you may need to click the 'all events' link to see it.

Can you go?? Can ANYONE go??

I found out about this one and the one in Pittsburgh too late to get time off from work. But there seriously needs to be more family of origin representation at the panel. As it stands right now it looks like 5 adoptive parents and 1 first mom. Maybe it's the Libra in me but I don't see a whole lotta balance on who is going to be blogging about it.

Linh September 13, 2007 at 12:32 PM  

We most definitely welcome additional bloggers! In proposing this session, I had envisioned having the triad represented, not just bloggers advocating for adoption ethics. Unfortunately schedules, funding, and other circumstances prevented some of them from coming. However we are trying our best to address this issue, as we have done in developing the other sessions at the conference. The bloggers session was only conceived several weeks ago so I appreciate the community's patience as we finalize it.

Besides bloggers, I strongly encourage families of origin to attend the conference. From the very beginning Ethica has advocated that this would not be a conference only for adoption professionals. We have policymakers, government officials, and even social welfare representatives from other countries, attending this event. It's vital that we have your voices so that true reform can happen. We've structured the conference format so that your views will be included, most notably at the Town Hall at the end of the conference.

I look forward to meeting some of you next month!

Linh Song, MSW
Executive Director
Ethica, Inc.

FauxClaud September 14, 2007 at 10:41 AM  

I jut said this on IAT..so I will repeat it here too.

The offical invites just were sent out last week..and the list of confirmed speakers came out just days after.
I was able to RSVP in seconds because I knew I was already going..I had the plans made, but if I had had no idea, or if I had to make work, childcare, life, funding arrangements first..then I would not have been able to reply asap and I probaby would not have made the first list of confirmed bloggers.
And yes, I definaly noticed the absense of adoptee voices...and my thought was WTF? Can't any of them go?
But in all honestly, it is our own personal responsiblity to make sure that we have input in these kinds of things. If we want our voices heard, then we can't leave it up to the next adoptee, or next mom to do our work for us. The mnute I found out about this thing, from Margie in Boston, I made sure that I was helping to make it happen and ensuring that I was going to be there. And its no small feat for me either.
Yeah..I guess maybe this is a blog post...but to conclude on the Blogger Panel...I hope that some get there. And if you blog and you CAN, then I would say...make contact and get in on it! Yes, you are needed and I would be thrilled!

On a side note T, I *almost* have our RegDay site confirmed! I'll be in touch!

Ungrateful Little Bastard September 14, 2007 at 4:50 PM  

There's a lot of factors here and it is another blog post for another day, but it ties in to something I've been working on and mulling about -- about getting out, getting active, event and news distribution and redistribution, presence, economics, balancing work/home/adoptionville - a whole lot of things tied together.

And I'll end it at that lest I turn this into the blog post I've got in my drafts folder ---- but not before I remind everyone there is still PLENTY of time to register and plan your schedule for Adoptee Rights 2008 at www.adopteerights.net !!!

Looking forward to the RegDay stuff!

mia,  September 14, 2007 at 7:53 PM  

Why is it so damn expensive? $325.00?!!!

Ungrateful Little Bastard September 15, 2007 at 12:54 AM  

Hence the 'economics' segment of my discourse! Whenever I get around to finishing it.

I'm a Fan of Adoptee Rights


I Digg Adoption News

All adoption news

Adoption news RSS feed

Don't like feeds or widgets? Rather read the news in a blog format? Here you go.

Who I'm Stalking


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP