Monday, October 29, 2007

GrandCentral

I run across so many cool web services and want to write about them, but I always get wrapped up in other stuff. I’m going to try and make a point over the next few weeks to get all of these things out of my inbox and posted.

Back in May, I signed up for service called GrandCentral. It’s been around for a little over a year. This service gives you a phone number in an area code of your choice, which is pretty cool I think. When you live in an area that has unlimited free long distance like I do, you tend to forget that this service isn’t available everywhere.

This is an incredibly cool web service, but for the life of me I can’t figure out how they are making any money. I know they were purchased by Google (of course), but other than that, I don’t understand how they keep afloat. There are a zillion and one features there, such as having a phone call ring directly to your house or having it go into a voicemail, depending on where the call is coming from. You can put a little button on your website or give out your direct fake number.

This is a really considerate thing to sign up for if someone is in regular phone contact with a friend or relative in another part of the country who doesn’t have unlimited free long distance, and you want to give them a way to call you locally. It's also a good way to screen who you really want to give your home number to as well.

I got a Philly area code for mine.

I’ll never give up hope that the person I got it for will use it some day.

Anyway it’s still in semi-private beta, which means if you want to give it a try you need an invite or you need to wait for it to launch. If you’d like an invite just drop me an email (address is in the profile) or hit me up over at MySpace.

4 complaints from ingrates:

suz October 29, 2007 at 9:03 PM  

reminds me how i kept a number, for years, at my friends house registered in my name.. in case my daughter looked for me....
: (

suz October 30, 2007 at 2:49 PM  

Thanks for the link to our youtube video (your other post would not allow me to comment). Appreciate it. I particularly like the fact that we had moms from the past 40 years!

Mirah is BSE
Claud, Bern and myself are closed adoption 80s and 90s
and Jacqueline is modern era open that closed on her.

Good representation.

Thanks again for the plug.

Ungrateful Little Bastard October 30, 2007 at 3:00 PM  

You got it. I turned comments off on that one in a passive aggressive attempt to get folks to comment there, because I'm passive aggressive like that. I really appreciated that, seeing 4 decades represented.

I'm a Fan of Adoptee Rights


I Digg Adoption News

All adoption news

Adoption news RSS feed

Don't like feeds or widgets? Rather read the news in a blog format? Here you go.

Who I'm Stalking


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP