Monday, November 19, 2007

And that's that.

I took the week off from work to get the house ready for the Thanksgiving migration. But so far have not done one bit of house readying stuff.

This morning I was all emotional and weepy.

I wrote three unsent letters to my mother and deleted all three immediately after writing.

And then I read this, so I sent this to the library branch closest to my mom's house.

Not that I think she'll see it, mind you. If she's anything like me, she's been banned for failure to return overdue books. I'm a wanted woman by librarians in many states.

But someone will. And they need it too. The Philadelphia library has like 50 branches, but only 3 copies of the book in the entire system. Now that's scary.

So even if my mom never sees it, someone will. Maybe a mom like mine.

Maybe it will make a difference in someone's life.

I'll tell you though, I'd really like it if someone would make a difference in mine.

This just sucks.

But anyway I can tell you it did make me feel a little better. Just a little. So, thanks Cookie for that post.









10 complaints from ingrates:

Judy November 19, 2007 at 4:51 PM  

The Philadelphia library has like 50 branches, but only 3 copies of the book in the entire system. Now that's scary.

That's surprising. Unless they had more copies and the copies have been "lost."

"Lost" in quotations means probably stolen which often happens with popular books and books on controversial subjects (a lot of gay and lesbian books, books about witchcraft or paganism). We're currently on our second copy of the book. If that ever gets "lost," the library will get my copy of the book.

Or maybe they don't know that adoption is such a "hot" topic and don't know to purchase books about adoption. They need librarians like me choosing their books for them!!

jim,  November 19, 2007 at 6:15 PM  

My small-town local library has maybe a half-dozen TITLES that even pertain to adoption, if you discount the propaganda donated (planted) by the agencies.

Here's hoping a simple twist of fate leads her to your copy.

Ungrateful Little Bastard November 20, 2007 at 7:21 AM  

Judy I did a little digging yesterday through their catalog with depressing results:

The Primal Wound: 0 copies
Books by Betty Jean Lifton: 0 copies
Books by Joe Soll: 0 copies
Outsiders Within: 0 copies
Adoption Searchbook: 0 copies

Thinking I was searching wrong, I checked TGWHA again, but no, there were the 3 copies I found before.

So it could be that the city of my creation is overrun with people just like me, who take out library books and fail to return them, or it could be something really cranky and paranoid that I haven't had enough coffee to articulate yet, but I just might in the future.

But, c'mon though, this is a city of 1.5 million people. Not ONE BJ Lifton book in the entire library???

And thanks Jim, who knows.

mia,  November 21, 2007 at 11:42 AM  

(((((((((Theresa))))))))))))

I love you more than ice cream.

I'm gonna go get all my adoption books off the shelf and take them to the library. Even the ones that are tattered from throwing them across the room.

Ungrateful Little Bastard November 21, 2007 at 3:20 PM  

And ((((Mia)))) I love you more than potato chips. With dip.

I was thinking of doing 1 book every now and then, especially as I can buy them so reasonably over at the used section at Amazon.

I like to think I'll be freaking out the librarians by sending this quarterly supply of anonymous adoption book donations.

Judy November 21, 2007 at 11:48 PM  

They do have a few other titles like The baby thief : the untold story of Georgia Tann, the baby seller who corrupted adoption and a couple of the fiction books that Jenna reviewed. In the subject search that I did under "adoption," a lot of the titles seemed to be children's books. Some good titles for a library, but yeah, they're lacking otherwise.

Out of curiosity, I checked the Cleveland Public Library system and they have 25 titles under "lifton, betty" as an author, they have Outsiders Within, Primal Wound, several copies of The Girls Who Went Away . . .

So, yeah. Something is wrong with the Philadelphia librarians!!

>:(

Nathaniel November 23, 2007 at 10:16 AM  

Ooh! I have library fine problems too... My suggestion for that is to live on a city boundary so if you rack up $20 with one library you can just hop across the city lines to rack up another $20! So... Although my library fines are about $70, it's only $40 in Vancouver and about $30 in Burnaby.

Ungrateful Little Bastard November 27, 2007 at 6:38 PM  

They'll never catch me Nathaniel. I'm a dangerous woman. You should see what I do with Blockbuster rentals.

j,  December 5, 2007 at 3:07 PM  

Theyre still listing only 3 copies :(

Ungrateful Little Bastard December 6, 2007 at 1:49 PM  

Well that's a shame, but it was a gift and they're free to do with it what they want. Maybe it just takes a while for it to show up.

I'm a Fan of Adoptee Rights


I Digg Adoption News

All adoption news

Adoption news RSS feed

Don't like feeds or widgets? Rather read the news in a blog format? Here you go.

Who I'm Stalking


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP