Thursday, November 01, 2007

November is National Adoption BEWAREness Month

OK yeah I know already, starting off NaBloPoMo with a press release doesn't bode well for the remaining 29 days but give me a break. I'm going to be gone 'till late tonight.


From OriginsUSA:
Some "celebrate" National Adoption Awareness Month in November.

Adoption, however is not a "win-win" for all. For every family added to by adoption, another experiences an irrevocable and painful loss.

OriginsUSA, an organization dedicated to Natural Family Preservation and justice for families seperated by adoption, cannot "celebrate" adoption as a "positive way to build families."

For members of OriginsUSA, November is a time to call attention to the need to prevent unnecessary adoptions by providing families in need the resources they need to remain intact.

We thus declare November as National Adoption BEWAREness Month.

  • BEWARE of claims that surrendering a child to adoption is noble or selfish or best; that it will guarantee your child a "better life" or afford you an opportunity for a better life.

  • BEWARE of those who tell you that adopting a child is "the same as if" you gave birth.

  • BEWARE of those who tell you that your child will go to a "forever family" as the national divorce statistics hold true in adoptive families as well, and a high percentage of children are victims of "failed adoptions", a phrase the industry coined to cover children returned to the agencies.

  • BEWARE of those who speak of your current situation as reason to surrender your child to adoption. You will get older, you can get work, colleges are full of non-traditional students, and your current situation is temporary, but loss to adoption is forever.

During this month, on November 10th, we will participate in Reg Day to bring awareness to the loss suffered those adopted by the denial of their truth with the issuance of a false birth certificate.

The month will culminate on November 30 with Strange and Mournful Day! Wear your Strange and Mournful Day ribbon on that day and throughout the year, to recognize the sadness of mothers losing their children to adoption.

Using a phrase taken from the "Mother and Child Reunion" by Paul Simon, the name of the occasion is intended to stress both the unnatural (strange) nature of adoption separation and the accompanying "mournful" grief.



8 complaints from ingrates:

Erin November 1, 2007 at 8:47 AM  

"of those who tell you that adopting a child is "the same as if" you gave birth"

But I gave birth in my heart!

Blech, you gave birth to a blood clot in your heart which travelled to your brain and made you stupid.

Third Mom November 1, 2007 at 11:27 AM  

Hey, a press release is still a post - and this is an important topic!!

Ungrateful Little Bastard November 1, 2007 at 6:23 PM  

Does it still count? Good! Because I was PLANNING on posting this 11/1 anyway. I was afraid it had to be something you wrote all on your own.

Although why on earth I'm stressing over it is beyond me. It's not like someone's going to come and take my blog away.

Erin you're a blasphemer, denying people the right to have babies grown in the right ventricle. I always wonder if you grow in the heart, where are you born from. Are you just squeezed out through the pulmonary vein? And what then, you just kind of circulate under the skin?

abebech November 1, 2007 at 10:09 PM  

"where are you born from"

My husband and I tease that instead you just might spring fully formed from the head of the aparent, like one of Zues's daughters. (It's a thought, anyway -- a very blasphemous thought.)

Ungrateful Little Bastard November 2, 2007 at 9:05 AM  

Now that would explain the headaches my mother said I gave her. Someone should research a correlation between migraines and adoption. I should apply for a grant.

Erin November 2, 2007 at 10:46 AM  

"And what then, you just kind of circulate under the skin?"

It could explain why I'm fat, lots of babies that my heart has given birth to have circulated under my skin and gotten stuck around my stomach and thighs.

Ungrateful Little Bastard November 2, 2007 at 11:25 AM  

Oh crap what does that say about my pear shaped genetic betrayal of a body?

Nina November 2, 2007 at 4:16 PM  

I lurved this press release and the funny comments that went before!

I'm a Fan of Adoptee Rights


I Digg Adoption News

All adoption news

Adoption news RSS feed

Don't like feeds or widgets? Rather read the news in a blog format? Here you go.

Who I'm Stalking


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP