Monday, November 05, 2007

Scary things about adoption #4: Dr. James Dobson is a total tool

.... when the foundation has been laid and the issue is defused, then forget it. Don't constantly remind the child of his uniqueness to the point of foolishness. Mention the matter when it is appropriate, but don't reveal anxiety or tension by constantly throwing adoption in the child's face. Youngsters are amazingly perceptive at "reading" these thinly disguised attitudes.

I believe it is possible, by following these common sense suggestions, to raise an adopted child without psychological trauma or personal insult.


This jackass has been spouting this same crap for decades, in spite of all evidence to the contrary. And how do you like that idea of neutralizing competitiveness between real kids and their adopted siblings by having two parties a year for the bastard? Yeah, that'll work.

That's the ticket though, don't constantly throw adoption in your kid's face. It's not like their lack of genetic mirroring won't do it for them anyway. Just pretend they're not adopted, except for that second birthday party, they won't even notice at all.

Focus on the Family is broadcast in more than a dozen languages and on over 7,000 stations worldwide, and heard daily by more than 220 million people in 164 countries. Lots of people take his word on adoption at face value.

For more on Dr. Dobson and others, view here: Adoption and The Role of The Religious Right in Adoption.

That's scary.









5 complaints from ingrates:

Heather.PNR November 5, 2007 at 12:57 PM  

Wow. His "advice" is so bad it might as well be a parody.

I generally avoid all things Dobson, because he so aggravates me. But I hear the echoes of these ideas of his about adoption in so many of my fellow Christian a-parents. Now I know at least part of their source.

Erin November 5, 2007 at 2:38 PM  

Dr. Dobson in general gives really crappy advice on a lot of things. We agree on Who Jesus is, and maybe MAYBE some conservative ideology but thats about it.

I'm a conservative Christian and I don't believe that Jesus himself would be thrilled with adoption, let alone the way Christian leaders portray it. I didn't rescue my daughter from the evils of being raised by a single mother. I didn't provide a "Christian household" because her mom was already a Christian. I didn't make her life better, we made her life different. Better is relative.

Blech.

Judy November 5, 2007 at 4:42 PM  

If this weren't parroted by so many fools out there, it would be almost laughable.

That's right, no reason to talk with Nate about adoption. No reason to even bring it up because, of course, he just WON'T NOTICE!!

So the next time a child stops us and asks me why I'm his mom because Nate is black (their words and it's happened about 3 times), I'll just tell the kid that he's imagining things and we really look exactly alike!!

ARGH!!

Ungrateful Little Bastard November 6, 2007 at 6:01 AM  

Yeah many of the Christians I know think he's quite toolish as well.

And Judy, then for added fun, tell them you're telling their mommy on them.

Judy,  November 6, 2007 at 8:09 AM  

That's BRILLIANT, Theresa! I love it!

I'm a Fan of Adoptee Rights


I Digg Adoption News

All adoption news

Adoption news RSS feed

Don't like feeds or widgets? Rather read the news in a blog format? Here you go.

Who I'm Stalking


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP