Friday, December 28, 2007

I dig digg

I’m really late to the whole social bookmarking thing. I hung back for a while because I didn’t really get the idea of it. Then after some time and surfing around, I still hung back some more. I wanted to see if anyone else was using it for adoption related news, because I’m lazy like that.

A few months ago adoption news stories started coming into my google alerts faster than I could post them, so I signed up for a few bookmarking sites and started to see which one I liked the best, just as a way to keep these stories saved. Each one has their plusses and minuses but I’ve settled on digg. This is just the test of one person, but it seemed to me that stories I dugg wound up being indexed by Google faster than at the other sites. Case in point, a story I dugg this morning hit my inbox again via a google alert 30 minutes after I submitted it.

This post came about from a very nice email I received from someone saying they missed the adoption news stories I used to post, and they couldn’t see my digg widget because they read me in a reader. I’ll post here what I replied to her: you can still read the news stories in a reader by adding this feed.

Digging the stories is so much faster than blogging them, and it gets them exposed to people outside the warm and fuzzy world of adoption bloggers.

Also, surprise, surprise, someone dugg me:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Which of course prompted the obligatory negative comment:


But hey, I was touched. How kind to digg me.

I’m still learning the ins and outs of the site. There’s a certain kindness protocol of digging stories that other users dugg which I’m still trying to find out a more efficient way to do, but for the most part I’ve found it a good place to keep all the adoption news stories in one place. Unless anyone else has a better recommendation. I find digg’s categories somewhat limiting.

4 complaints from ingrates:

MrsJennaHatfield December 28, 2007 at 2:16 PM  

I find it interesting that, since the user hasn't looked up adoption in "ten years," that he/she is commenting on something adoption related. LOL.

Good times i=on the intrawebz!

Gershom December 29, 2007 at 1:35 AM  

I'm totally trying to get into digg, i like it too, i just keep forgetting about it, thanks for the reminder... ya digg that!

lol

Anonymous,  December 29, 2007 at 6:22 PM  

So if the only time "Wronghead" thinks about adoption is when someone brings it up, why is he digging your site?

"I think the lady (Wronghead) doth protest too much" - apologies to Shakespeare

Cathy

Ungrateful Little Bastard December 30, 2007 at 10:16 AM  

I both lol'z and felt sad for that person, because I can remember saying the exact same thing, only a bit nastier, when I had unsubscribed from an adoption search mailing list for the 784,564th time stating I DON'T CARE ABOUT BEING ADOPTED

I think I re-subscribed 2 weeks later though.

Yay adoption.

I'm a Fan of Adoptee Rights


I Digg Adoption News

All adoption news

Adoption news RSS feed

Don't like feeds or widgets? Rather read the news in a blog format? Here you go.

Who I'm Stalking


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP