Thursday, May 29, 2008

Please don't write the President


On just about every group I belong to, there's this great idea about writing to the new president about our birth certificates.

Folks say, "Yeah, I'm in!"

I'm not.

The new President, the old President, any President to come, it's a waste of time.

Birth certificates are state issues, not federal.

Whomever assumes the position has no authority over your birth certificate, nor could they care. They've got bigger fish to fry.

So please don't write the President about your birth certificate.

Write your state official instead.

Or better yet -be there this July to greet them in person at their National Conference.

5 complaints from ingrates:

Erin May 29, 2008 at 12:22 PM  

I think that photo does justice to all three without even discussing the adoption issue. All three are useless!

Addie Pray May 29, 2008 at 2:47 PM  

Yep, it's a states issue.

It would do no more good to write the president than put tits on a rooster.

Ungrateful Little Bastard May 29, 2008 at 5:40 PM  

Oh crap.

And I just signed that 'Put tits on a rooster' petition over at petitionsite.com

I thought I was making a difference :(

And Erin I must practice being politically neutral as not to alienate any state leggie at the conference, therefore I'll use my stock phrase: "All three have qualities that would lend themselves to the position of President."

I'm being very, very good. That's actually very hard for me, because outside of adoptionville I'm extremely political. But on the adoption blog, I'm being a good girl.

Third Mom May 29, 2008 at 8:43 PM  

Although birth certificates are in the purview of the states, the president certainly has influence on state politics, and getting one into the open records camp could be helpful.

If you frame this as the human rights issue it is, the president has to listen, and even if he pushes it back to the states, now he's got guilty knowledge.

It's just one more thing to do to cover the bases, to raise awareness at influential levels.

Ungrateful Little Bastard May 29, 2008 at 10:58 PM  

I totally hear you Margie and, believe me, nothing would make me happier than having a President who saw sealed birth certificates as discrimination.

That said, I dont see any of the three falling into that category, for reasons I can't post on this blog without breaking my self-created rule to neither promote nor trash any political party or candidate, even though it's probably pretty obvious which camp I fall into. There are state legislators who run the gamut from very conservative Republicans to very liberal Democrats and everything in between who have fought and are fighting hard for restoring access bills.

I think I just wish that anyone who is all fired up over writing the new President would be as fired up over writing the people who have the power to make a difference.

I'm a Fan of Adoptee Rights


I Digg Adoption News

All adoption news

Adoption news RSS feed

Don't like feeds or widgets? Rather read the news in a blog format? Here you go.

Who I'm Stalking


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP