Friday, July 18, 2008

The Adoptee Rights Demonstration, version 1.0 / Ungrateful Little Bastard version 2.0


You knew I’d be back. I just can’t stay away from you for very long. I’m so addicted to you. So sorry about that temporary hiatus. Some technical difficulties in the wiring required not only a start, shutdown, restart, but pulling the power cord as well. Sometimes you just need to reset the power when you’re so busy being adopted all the time.

First things first, if we could all have a moment of praise and awe please, for the one, the only, the incredible Kali. Unless you’ve been living under a rock in adoptionville, you know Kali as not only the heart and soul of The Adoptee Rights Demonstration, she’s the brain, she’s the kidneys, she’s the liver, she’s the freaking pancreas of The Adoptee Rights Demonstration.

I mean, look at this love, she’s even been nominated for President:





Yes, beautiful bastards and those who love them are giving of themselves to travel on down to New Orleans to represent us all. I, unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control, will be unable to attend. To say I’m disappointed is the understatement of the century. (Note to self: NEVER, EVER, EVER again purchase non-refundable airline tickets just because it’s $40 cheaper. Moron.)

In spite of a few naysayers who acted as if Adoptee Rights would be set back twenty years just because they weren’t going to be at attendance, we'll have quality representation from bastards of integrity, people I’m damn proud of, and people I downright love.

So it’s with a heavy heart I delete my e-ticket (TSA rules said I couldn’t even gift it to someone like a newborn HWI)

My time apart gave me a little time to think of what direction I want this blog to go. I blogged for years privately, but I went public at the time I decided to get serious about my search. Now that my search is in intermission stage -- finding mom behind me, calling my brother or my sister in the as yet undetermined future --- I feel it would be much healthier for me to adopt (haha) a more adoptee-centric frame of mind. I’ve spent my entire life trying to think of my adoptive mother’s feelings, or trying to think of my other mother’s feelings, and that has unfortunately flowed over into my blog. It becomes a habit.

Long story short, I’m sick and tired of thinking of other people before I think of me. So, quite frankly, I don’t need anyone lecturing me about the BSE or telling me “not all adoptive parents are monsters”. Yeah, yeah, yeah, if me writing about one who is a monster triggers you, if me writing about my own mother triggers you, there’s a little “x” button in the upper right hand corner of your screen. Use it. Because if you leave a rude comment, it’s just going to be deleted.


So my focus really needs to be on my people, on other adoptees, on the only ones who truly have lived adoption from day one. And it needs to be on learning as much as I can over the next 12 months, in preparation for an event that I won’t need to buy a plane ticket for:

The Second Annual Adoptee Rights Demonstration

Next year – July 20th – July 25th 2009 – The National Conference of State Legislators and The Adoption Rights Demonstration, version 2.0 will be held in my home town, the land of my creation, the one, the only, the cradle of liberty, Philadelphia. Start making travel arrangements now, because next year not only will you not want to miss Version 2, you simply cannot miss version 2.0 in the land of cheesesteaks, hot pretzels, Tasty Kakes, Oscar’s Crab Cakes, hoagies and pizza done right.

Just don’t buy a nonrefundable plane ticket, because, you know, shit happens.

And safe travels to those who are heading out this weekend. I'd tell you to go with God, but apparently God has been calling hundreds of people to adopt lately, so I'm thinking he must be getting a kicback on sales.



7 complaints from ingrates:

Eve July 19, 2008 at 5:14 PM  

I have the biggest smile on my face. I just finished leaving a comment to The Original Heping (Mei Ling) saying just about as much as what you just said you were going to do here. I can't cheer wildly enough. "To thine own self be true." This is the path to wholeness and this is what you're an expert at. I am so glad you're back. I hope I can write, "I'm proud of you" without seeming condescending. What I mean is that it gives me courage and joy every time I get to see another human being act on his or her own behalf; seeing you do it here is wonderful. That's what I mean.

Ungrateful Little Bastard July 19, 2008 at 5:34 PM  

Thank you-- I'll have to go check out Mei Ling's post, I'm so behind on blogs it's not even funny.

Tina with much2say July 19, 2008 at 8:02 PM  

I'm so glad you are back. When I discovered 2yrs ago my adoption was illegal and everything I had ever known had been a lie It completely screwed me up. Blogging helped me make sense (almost) and come to terms with things. I was pointed in yours and possums direction in those early days and can say hand on heart that I would never have got this far without your support. 3 people inspire me more than anything in this fucked up adoption world, that is you, possum and Gershom. Please don't ever stop doing what you do because you are making a difference.
love tina x

Gershom July 19, 2008 at 11:05 PM  

Michelle and Cathy have been the rocks that pulled me out of my slumps and kept things going when I was down. Thank you so much you guys, seriously. This is crazy, its really here. You know if I was president, the FIRST thing I'd be doing was opening up our damn records, then i'd resign. roflol.

I'll see you next year T! I love you guys seriously!

Sang-Shil July 20, 2008 at 3:16 PM  

So glad that you're back! And I completely agree that adoptee-centric-ness (yup, that's a word, just invented it!) is the way to go.

Like you said, we're the only ones who have lived adoption from Day One... and that adds up to a lotta days.

Being Me July 27, 2008 at 1:06 PM  

YAHOO!!!!
I AM SO GLAD TO SEE YOU.

Third Mom July 27, 2008 at 9:45 PM  

You go girl! I have no doubt ARD v2 will be awesome - and you will be the reason!!

I'm a Fan of Adoptee Rights


I Digg Adoption News

All adoption news

Adoption news RSS feed

Don't like feeds or widgets? Rather read the news in a blog format? Here you go.

Who I'm Stalking


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP