Tuesday, July 08, 2008

How I digg

I’ve been spending what little free time I have lately on digg. Digg suits itself both to my schedule and state of mind right now.

It’s become a bit of a game with me, to see how many diggs I can get on adoption news articles. Digg is mainly politics and IT (and, judging by a lot of the shouts I receive, hot chicks in skimpy clothes), so I get a kick seeing the adoption stories I submit get dugg to begin with.

I know not many people are actually reading the news stories; they’re just digging them in hopes I’ll return the digg on one of their submits (I always do) (Unless it’s hot chicks in skimpy clothes). I never thought I’d get into the competitiveness of it, I just wanted to have a way to get an rss feed of my own personalized selection of adoption news stories.

But then I got hooked. I get maybe 2 to 5 friend requests a day, and starting this week I’ve begun shouting daily. From the stories that make it out of my google alert and into my submissions folder, I choose the one I think is coolest and send a shout out. Shouting is where you broadcast your submissions to those on your friend list. That way you know who your true friends who don’t know you are. I’ve got 232 friends as of this posting, and on my last shout I got 44 diggs. So we’re looking at about a 19% rate of return on friends here.

Diggs are currency. They are the way you buy your spot on the digg front page. To make it to the digg front page, the news story you submit needs to get over 100 – 200 diggs within 24 hours of being submitted. Given the atmosphere of digg, it’s highly unlikely that such a niche topic as adoption news would ever hit the front page.

But that’s not going to stop me from trying. Granted, it’s a long shot.

If one adoption news story could ever make the front page, how cool would that be? Because the stories that make the front page, are the stories that get read.

It’s not like we don’t have the numbers. Think of all the adoption bloggers out there. Think of all the adoption groups there are.

But then think of how hard it is to get adoptees to do anything. Yeah I’m guilty as charged, in the past I would say Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! I’ll write when an important bill came up, but I didn’t. Just, I don’t know what. Feeling disempowered maybe? Adoption will do that to you.

I’m reminded of one of the most important adoptee related submissions ever to be sent to digg, “New York Times blog censors criticism from adult adoptees” With all of the attention that got, with all of the requests for diggs from some extremely popular bloggers, it got a grand whopping total of 32. I’m still disappointed by that. Digging is so easy, just a click to say, “this story is interesting”, but only 32 residents of adoptionville took the time to do so. Bummer.

A lot of people don’t understand digg. I know I didn’t really get what the big deal was until recently. On this one, I’m a late adopter. People send or accept friend requests, and then get pissy about having 1 shout a day sent to them (“Stop spamming me!”). Other people send the same shout 5 times a day (“Jessica Alba in a skimpy bikini – must see to believe!!) Some send multiple shouts a day but never digg your shouts in return.

Still, digg is where I’m spending most of my time. I still have a lot to learn, especially when it comes to titles and descriptions. I mostly just copy the title of the news article and a snip of the text. I think there’s also a timing factor to when the stories are submitted.

And I think it would be a hoot to get an adoption news story on the front page of digg one day.

So if you’ve got time to click, send me a friend request. And don’t hesitate to send me a shout, because I’ll always digg what you submit. Unless it’s hot Jessica Alba in a bikini.


1 complaints from ingrates:

Susan July 20, 2008 at 5:42 PM  

Glad to join you in digging -- and I'm glad to see you back here!

Shout with you later!

I'm a Fan of Adoptee Rights


I Digg Adoption News

All adoption news

Adoption news RSS feed

Don't like feeds or widgets? Rather read the news in a blog format? Here you go.

Who I'm Stalking


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP