Friday, August 15, 2008

Philly Phridays #2 - Eastern State Penitentiary

Continuing the series of places to visit during next year's Adoptee Rights Demonstration.....

No list of Philadelphia attractions would be complete without the only thing scarier than adoption - a haunted, abandoned penitentiary.




Eastern State Penn (ESP) has been the focus of ghost hunting groups from coast to coast, most memorably TAPS, whose alleged full-body apparition video still inspires debate.

Opened for business in 1829, ESP was considered a kinder, gentler form of housing criminals, by plopping everyone into solitary confinement inside teensie tiny cells. The one notable exception of course being Al Capone's cell, which was better furnished than my own home.




In spite of hopes of a better life for prisoners, the experience is known to have caused "significant mental illness" to the inhabitants. What does that remind you of?

You'll want to go on one of the Summer Twilight Tours while you're there because face it, creepy places are best visited during dim light. Or maybe we could organize a special Murdering Bastards Tour, asking the tour guides to research and point out cells once inhabited by ACS-suffering killer adoptees.








July, 2009. See you behind the walls.

7 complaints from ingrates:

elizabeth August 15, 2008 at 6:20 PM  

Wow, that place looks so cool! I would love to take a tour, but don't think I would want to spend the night alone.

joy August 15, 2008 at 10:30 PM  

"I hold this slow and daily tampering with the mysteries of the human brain to be immeasurably worse..."

"How many people did indeed lose their minds here?"

"The isolation took its toll"

Sounds like adoption.


I can't wait for Philly, but will skip this for sure.

Lorraine August 16, 2008 at 1:18 PM  

Hi ungrateful...your postings are so cool and imaaginative. just a comment from a fellow blogger...that other woman doesn't know what she is missing.

firstmother lorraine

Gershom August 17, 2008 at 2:00 PM  

very very cool!!! Thanks T! I totally want to visit here!

Ungrateful Little Bastard August 17, 2008 at 3:13 PM  

I'm sorry Joy :( Next Friday's post is kinda grim too. And then I had another spooky place lined up for the week after! What gives?! I don't know why I got on this creepy Philadelphia kick. I blame adoption. But I promise on 8-29 I'll do a Joyful Philly attraction.

Lorriane - thank you!

E & Gersh - there are good pubs in the area too. Not that alcohol is the first thing I think of or anything....

Diane August 22, 2008 at 9:56 PM  

oh, what's wrong with alcohol being the first thing you think of ...? ;)
This place sounds way cool and I would love to take a bastards tour there next year with the rest of you bastards

I'm a Fan of Adoptee Rights


I Digg Adoption News

All adoption news

Adoption news RSS feed

Don't like feeds or widgets? Rather read the news in a blog format? Here you go.

Who I'm Stalking


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP