Sunday, November 09, 2008

Damn my feet hurt

Yanno when you're getting ready for an event, and you pull your prettiest shoes out of the closet, and you look at them, and you say to yourself, 'Fool -- do not put those shoes on, you know they're going to kill your feet", but the shallow bitch in you says, "Shut up moron, these shoes are gorgeous" and you put them on anyway?

Seriously, listen to that first voice, OK?

Alright, kvetching out of the way - RegDay Report!!

During setup....







Just as last year, I went into major disassociation mode but at least made some notes throughout the day so I could piece together what went down when I was on auto-pilot.

First up was an adoptee who just wandered by, saw the signs and shouted, "My people!"

She was in reunion, but took two sets of forms and handouts for adoptee friends of hers. Cool.

Second packet was for a store employee, again gathering for an adoptee friend.

Third, a Florida adoptee now living in New York who saw us on the web.

Fourth a fellow AAAFC-er with a search-from-hell situation. She's already registered with Soundex but is going to send an updated information form.

Fifth, two adoptive parents taking home a packet for their adult son.

Last, a volunteer from the AdoptionDatabase group who grabbed a few sets for his adopted siblings.

Definitely not a great turnout, however far better than the zero attendance I was afraid of. I got a few calls during the week and was able to mail out packages to adoptees in New Jersey who heard about it on the radio but couldn't make the drive out.

Borders was fantastic, they offered tons of help during setup and takedown, which they really didn't need to do at all. Most amazing were the moms from Empty Arms who really made the day.

The hopeless reunion romantic in me was holding her breath for a miracle for Joanie....



Believe it or not, we actually had a visit from a man whose wife's birthday was yesterday, and yes she's an adoptee. Sadly though, not the adoptee we were hoping to come across.

Two odd reactions to the event. First an adoptive dad with a grown son who struck up a conversation about it with me. He said he knew the name of his son's first mother, but said he would never tell him. And yet, he took a flyer. Que?

Second a singularly unpleasant woman who could just not stay away from reading the Unsealed Initiative / Support Group stuff, and yet loudly let us know YES AND WE ARE NOT INTERESTED when she was asked, "Do you know anyone who is adopted?"

Hmmmm someone's a little insecure.

So all in all, not a great turnout, but considering it was my first go-around at being a site coordinator, I'm feeling pretty good. Handout-wise I improved on the things I missed last year, and have notes for the things I need to include next year. The biggest improvement needs to be promotion, because at that I suck. I'm more of a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am type of promoter, where I'll send out announcements to the world but then not follow up if I don't hear back. Either I've got to get better on the follow up, or Long Island needs someone to coordinate next year's table who is excellent at promotion. Because I'm shy as all hell, I'm hoping for the latter.

Please consider doing RegDay in your area next year, honestly no matter how many people show up, the magic is around the table itself. It raises awareness in the people walking by, and it raises hope in yourself. Knowing that I had this Saturday to look forward to has gotten me through some pretty dark days. Here's to the light in all of us, to reach out to someone punched by adoption, and let them know they're not alone.











2 complaints from ingrates:

Mia November 10, 2008 at 11:09 AM  

Poor shoe judgment aside.....you ROCK. Thank you for doing the RegDay table T, you're awesome.XOXO

triona November 11, 2008 at 5:10 AM  

Thanks from here too. I know how much effort such things are to organize and it is greatly (but ungratefully) appreciated.

I'm a Fan of Adoptee Rights


I Digg Adoption News

All adoption news

Adoption news RSS feed

Don't like feeds or widgets? Rather read the news in a blog format? Here you go.

Who I'm Stalking


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP