Friday, December 05, 2008

Update on the Walgreen's Plan B story

I'm curious as to what type of 'adoption literature' this pharmacist gave out, and where the source was.

Was this adoption literature from one specific agency?

A healthy newborn is $$$$$$. I hear the phrase 'adoption literature', and sadly Stephanie Bennett's story comes to mind. As well as the Stephanie's we haven't heard about.

The comments over at the post are 5 pages and growing. Other women have voiced their own experiences with purchasing Plan B at other pharmacies:



I had the same problem with a Walgreen's in St. Louis. Not only did THREE pharmacy employees claim not to know what I was talking about, one of those three actually yelled to someone in the store that "this girl needs the morning after pill!" and they made a big deal out of photocopying my license.




I got a username just to comment on this story. I had a very similar experience at Walgreens. I waited in line for awhile, and the guy behind the counter refused to tell me if they sold Plan B and loudly told me that if I didn't have a ring on my finger, I shouldn't have engaged in premarital sex. When I started to leave, he yelled "WE DON'T CARRY PLAN B" loudly after me. I was furious, and quite honestly, in tears. It made me never want to shop in a Walgreen's again.



Further down in the post, a comment was left that Feministing.com readers did some complaining to Walgreens Corporate, who stated they researched the allegations and discovered them false.



Honestly, if you don't hear something with your own ears, it's hard to know where the truth is.

Would a consumerist.com reader make up a Plan B story for a few moments of internet notoriety? Could be.

Would a pharmacist lie when confronted by upper management in order to save his job? Could be that as well.

Unless the transaction was videotaped there's no way of knowing for sure.

People will do crazy things in order to get a healthy, fresh off the placenta newborn. Certain agencies are not above contracting out to 'finders', especially those with access to young women. Finally, there are those so die-hard in the anti-abortion arena who view even birth control to be an affront, and who simply cannot understand the difference between adoption and abortion. Lone rangers standing outside reproductive health facilities with signs urging adoption are not unheard of.

If I read any followup, I'll update this post with more information.





2 complaints from ingrates:

KristySearching December 5, 2008 at 8:49 AM  

I guess what confuses me about all the hype is that Plan B is NOT the abortion pill. It won't terminate a pregnancy. It won't do anything other than what regular birth control pills only it is a stronger dosage.

Have a wonderful weekend!
Kristy

Ungrateful Little Bastard December 5, 2008 at 9:08 AM  

True, but there are pharmacists who will deny even the sale of birth control under "provider conscience"

I'm a Fan of Adoptee Rights


I Digg Adoption News

All adoption news

Adoption news RSS feed

Don't like feeds or widgets? Rather read the news in a blog format? Here you go.

Who I'm Stalking


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP