Wednesday, December 31, 2008

war is not healthy for stepchildren and other living things

It was 12 years ago tonight that I first met him.

Or was it 11 years ago, or 13 years ago? I can't remember, honestly. This old mind of mine, she ain't what she used to be.

The cool husband, at that time the cool boyfriend, had gone to pick him up.

I was a nervous wreck, I wanted him to like me so much. I was compulsively re-washing clean dishes at the sink when he came in. He was bundled under his huge jacket, buried under his oversized backpack behind and whatever the latest game system of the time was up front.

He just stared at me for a few moments after I said hello.

"My dad said you're good at Mortal Kombat," he said.

"I'm the best," I told him. I was.

He just stared at me some more.

"Do you want to play me?" he asked.

I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Prepare for annihilation," I told him. He laughed and went to hook up the game system.

He kicked my ass. Royally.

I remember watching him go down the hallway, still buried under all his gear, thinking how cute he looked in his little army fatigues.

I was thinking about that this morning, as I watched him walk out the door in his army fatigues, buried under all his gear.

And still carrying the latest game system.

Now, what on earth this young man thinks he's going to do with a PS3 in the Middle East, I have no clue, but I'm not arguing with him.

I won't be seeing him again for a very, very, very long time.



War is not healthy for children and other living things - ®Another Mother for Peace, ©1967, 2003

8 complaints from ingrates:

triona December 31, 2008 at 12:57 PM  

May he reach there safely, stay safe while there, and return home in one piece.

Ungrateful Little Bastard December 31, 2008 at 1:05 PM  

Thank you so much, that means the world.

Harmonygirl December 31, 2008 at 4:32 PM  

It used to be chess that got boys prepared for men's war games, now its the latest games. I hope your steps-son comes home safe and sound and earlier than expected. And may he "kick ass" while there. Here's to peace in 2009.

elizabeth January 1, 2009 at 4:14 PM  

I hope he stays safe.

xoxo

joy January 2, 2009 at 3:18 PM  

wow, I am so sorry. (((((((T)))))

(((((((T's step-son)))))))

Being Me January 2, 2009 at 11:00 PM  

Ay, Teresa. Hugs and hugs and hugs and hugs across the ocean and beyond to you and your boy.

I'm a Fan of Adoptee Rights


I Digg Adoption News

All adoption news

Adoption news RSS feed

Don't like feeds or widgets? Rather read the news in a blog format? Here you go.

Who I'm Stalking


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP