Sunday, April 19, 2009

ICWA Help Needed

I have very little knowledge of the Indian Child Welfare Act of 1977 but I know other people do.

Can someone please, please help this blogger - this is really important.

This law was made for a number of reasons, but the one that is of most importance to me is that my records can supposedly be opened due to genetic and medical reasons. It is a federal law. In my case I am not so much interested in finding my natural parents but rather looking for medical history and acknowledgment from the tribe so that I can apply for grant money so I can show that we can get the Prograf. Without that, there will be no transplant. Anybody know any adoption law? We're stumped.


The post is at http://beaux24.blogspot.com/2009/04/where-do-we-go-from-here.html




Thanks.

PS - Also even though I think it's twitter-attention-whorish to ask for RT's, if you're on Twitter if you could please RT this one I'd appreciate it. This is someone's health here.

4 complaints from ingrates:

Something Happened Somewhere Turning April 21, 2009 at 10:05 PM  

I am still having trouble trying to figure out what I want to say or how to say it. Thank you seems so less, and yet it is all I have. From the center of my heart I thank you and I appreciate all that you have done.
Years ago I gathered up a bunch of paperwork to find my natural parents. It was my first and only attempt to find them until now. That paperwork has been in an envelope for more than 17 years. It was not until I received a couple of comments that I realized I already possessed most of the information I needed to begin this process of opening up my adoption records. My wife has an old school buddy who is a lawyer and he is taking all of that information and petitioning the court in the State of Arizona. It is likely that there is a good chance that my records can be opened provided that they are still there. The Indian Child Welfare Act was enacted in 1978. I was born in 61 and adopted in 63. Arizona state law (then) stipulated that records could be destroyed after 20 years. That means my records should still have been around in 83 and therefore be protected before they were destroyed. I am hoping that is the case. If not her friend has some other approaches he will take to fight the court on behalf of medical conditions and whatnot.
I don't have any idea how all this will play out, but I am thinking it will end well. And maybe, if I still choose to seek out my natural birth parents, I might just do that.

With many thanks and best wishes,
Beaux Kyle
A.K.A. I don't know.

Ungrateful Little Bastard April 21, 2009 at 10:24 PM  

Oh you're more than welcome. If you can stand one more link, here's this one:

Arizona Search and Support:
http://tr.im/jnH4


I know the woman who owns this group and she's dynamite. There's nothing in Arizona adoption she doesn't know :)

Ungrateful Little Bastard April 21, 2009 at 10:27 PM  

OK wait I lied! Here are two more links:

Intertribal Council of Arizona
http://www.itcaonline.com/

Arisona Searching, with specific info on ICWA (scroll down a bit)

http://www.arizonasearch.org/petition.html

Something Happened Somewhere Turning April 21, 2009 at 10:56 PM  

Thanks again. Every little bit will help.

xx -Bx

I'm a Fan of Adoptee Rights


I Digg Adoption News

All adoption news

Adoption news RSS feed

Don't like feeds or widgets? Rather read the news in a blog format? Here you go.

Who I'm Stalking


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP