Friday, July 10, 2009

At least I wasn't f*cking adopted, bitch!

Saw this little gem over at Twitter, posted by Jessenia about a little bit of adoption truth that happened on Real World Cancun.

Now, don't even try to read the accompanying article at gawker.com, because it's all but unreadable.

And actually don't even try to watch the video, because with all the bleeps, it's entirely incoherent.

With the exception of the last bombshell thrown out at the end of the fight:

At least I wasn't fucking adopted, bitch!

I don't know anything about this show. I haven't watched Real World since about Season 2 or so. I heard there were three adoptees this season which made me curious, but I just never got around to actually watching it on demand.

Anyway, I wasn't surprised or shocked by this. I had that bitchy line thrown at me growing up.

It's actually quite honest, to tell the truth. While it's ugly to hear and hurts like hell, I've always held this thought is deep inside the psyche of many a real kid.

If someone's so unlovable their own mother gave them away, that makes them fair game. So it's easy for a real kid who is lost for words to use someone's bastard status against them as a weapon.

I don't know the name of young woman who had that lovely but familiar line thrown at her, Emily I think it might be, but my eyes bled from reading through the article in the link above so I can't be sure.

But Emily, or whatever your name is, sorry sister.

It sucks to hear that line.

There was quite the bruhaha over that Orphan movie and it's one "It must be hard to love an adopted child" line.

Wonder if there will be the same type of stink over this one?

I'd love to be wrong, but somehow I doubt it. That adoptee from Real World unfortunately happens to be an adult, and that's a little long in the tooth for the general adoption-loving public.


5 complaints from ingrates:

joy July 10, 2009 at 10:29 PM  

Ummm, ULB, I have bad news for you...


Hey no really, yes, the stigma is real no matter how many people tell you it is ignorance. It isn't, its instinct.

I asked my son's father once if he thought it was weird when he found out I was adopted. He said, "yeah, but I decided not to hold it against you"

He was 15 then.

Ungrateful Little Bastard July 11, 2009 at 10:37 AM  

Yeah instinct is probably the best word for it. In some of them it's like a recoiling.

Jade July 12, 2009 at 9:07 PM  

o man have i ever been there..people can be incredibly ignorant.

Margie July 23, 2009 at 10:29 AM  

I think APs jump up in protest about the negative use of adoption in movies and such because we believe we're helping to reduce the stigma.

But maybe we can't, maybe we do more damage than good by drawing attention to it. I don't know anymore, although I'll probably always say something when I see adoption misused in the media. Old habits die hard.

But I also am coming to believe that the best place for APs to put our efforts is into the fight for open records. This discrimination is real, and has to stop.

ca123 July 25, 2009 at 12:39 PM  

Yes-the ultimate insult-being adopted. Sometimes I want to resign from the human race. Ugh!

I'm a Fan of Adoptee Rights


I Digg Adoption News

All adoption news

Adoption news RSS feed

Don't like feeds or widgets? Rather read the news in a blog format? Here you go.

Who I'm Stalking


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP