Sunday, October 04, 2009

October is the douchiest of months

So here's my nagging, begging, pleading,  self indulgent birthday wish.

So serious here. If there's even one post on this blog you've ever liked, I'm begging you on this one, honestly. 

The bold text below, please highlight it and copy it:




I support an adult adoptee's right to their own original birth certificate, without restrictions, conditions or limitations.





Then click this link, and paste it into the comment box, fill in the rest of the fields and send 'er on it's way to the Chairman of the Pennsylvania Task Force on Adoption Law.

That's all, I'm so damn easy to please, really.

Now if you want to personalize it a bit, I'd love that more. If you want to actually send a snail mail letter I'd be your loyal slave, truth.

If you personalize it, send a snail mail letter and just so happen to actually live in Pennsylvania's 12th District, forget it, I'm yours for life.


Really, please.

It's been a while since I've posted about the draconian, degrading and downright douchy Pennsylvania system for getting your birth certificate, so older readers please indulge me while I dredge up some ingratitude from the archives.

From 2007:

Let's take a little peek at the rules here:


Q: What happens if a biological parent files a consent form after the Division of Vital Records processes a request?

A: If consent is received at a later date, the identifying information will not be sent to the adoptee. Therefore, an adoptee may wish to request periodically to determine if a consent form has been filed.


Sounds mundane, right? It's not, it's anything but.

If you're an adoptee registering with the State.... well, that in itself is wrong. Adoptees are not allowed to register. Only natural parents. Adoptees are invited to send $10 to the state to see if their parents have registered. They'll cash your check either way.

But remember - YOU are not registering. You are paying the state a fee to have a data processing clerk with access to YOUR personal information and the personal information on your parents pull up your birth certificate record in the computer, and see if there's a field flagged saying mom or dad even knows about this non publicized registry.

Even better, this means, if Vital Records gets your form on a Tuesday, cashes your check, peeks in their computer, sends you off a Sorry! letter, and then on Wednesday gets a registration form from your mom or dad - they will NOT notify you.



Oh - by the way. Got a relationship with your family of origin? Want them to fill out a mommy-may-I permission slip for you? Rotsa ruck. Check out the line in bold italics below from this page.


Q: How can a biological parent register identifying information?

A: A biological parent whose child was born in Pennsylvania may file a Biological Parent Registration Identification Form with the Department of Health.  Please click here to download the form.  Forms may also be requested by calling the Division of Vital Records at 1-877-PA-HEALTH 

Try clicking that 'click here' link, sports fans.

Yeah, they know that link is broken. It's been on their to-do list to fix it. Since 2006, I think.

So do an old Pennsylvania Orphan a favor and send that note. And if you're on Facebook and have a Pennsylvania connection, a hard-working Facebook and Twitter friend pulled an all-nighter creating a little page for people with PA on their mind. She's a bi-local like me, birth certificate tied up in one state and working for change in another.  So show her some support and join up on her page. That would make me happy too.







12 complaints from ingrates:

SDP October 4, 2009 at 2:45 PM  

Sent an electronic message to rep Greenleaf, though I'm registered to vote in MA. I would send snail mail if I had stamps and envelopes nearby but...

Heather October 4, 2009 at 7:18 PM  

Done. I added my own little AP spin.

Happy birthday!

timex October 4, 2009 at 8:38 PM  

Done. I'm registered to vote in VA, but I included my personal info so hopefully it will still get read.

Judy October 4, 2009 at 10:36 PM  

I guess I'll leave out the fact that I'm also getting a new boob on the 12th. Heh.

Happy early Birthday, my friend!! :)

Ungrateful Little Bastard October 5, 2009 at 1:35 AM  

Thank you!

And Judy I'm being quite selfish about your boob actually. It's meant I have something important to think about that day

Judy October 5, 2009 at 1:44 AM  

Theresa, you know I'd do anything for you. :)

Judy October 5, 2009 at 2:28 AM  

Oh, and I meant I probably shouldn't mention it to the legislators, hahaha!

Ex-in-the-City October 6, 2009 at 11:34 AM  

Done.
Not from your state, but said I had many friends from there and that it was an issue close to our hearts.

P.S. I'm a birthmother 100% in favor of open records. I travel a lot & always look up the adoption laws wherever I'm at. They all read about the same.

Very good blogging, btw.

Joan M Wheeler October 6, 2009 at 7:47 PM  

Just sent that email and added a few words and a link to my new blog.

Oct 4 is a very good day to be born! Without that birthday 84 years ado, I owul dnot be here! That was my mother's birthday! She lived long enough to give birth to me, then died.

Anway, every message helps!

come by and say hi! Give me a minute to post a post with open comments...never fails, harassing relatives again.

I've been away for awhile. Ill for a long time. Mom is doing so-so. I'd like to be back to bloggin!

http://halforphan56.wordpress.com/

Ungrateful Little Bastard October 6, 2009 at 7:53 PM  

Thank you Joan! I'm so sorry you've been ill :(

I updated your blog address on my blogroll; I didn't know you had moved!

I'm a Fan of Adoptee Rights


I Digg Adoption News

All adoption news

Adoption news RSS feed

Don't like feeds or widgets? Rather read the news in a blog format? Here you go.

Who I'm Stalking


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP