Friday, February 26, 2010

The Overbrook Brothers

So... you know how you reach that critical mass with adoption, and you think, "Damn. I've just reached a critical mass with adoption. Golly, I'd sure like to watch a light-hearted comedy that has absolutely nothing to do with adoption. Say there, I wonder what new films are on-demand this month?"

And you know, every time you've reached critical adoption capacity, and you just want to watch something funny, for chrissakes, chances are near perfect whatever you pick will be entirely adoption related.

I was far too critical last night to order it, but once my mass reduces, I'm going to watch this. Anyone see it yet?








It actually looks funny.

Official site: The Overbook Brothers

This is interesting:

Here's a snip from an interview with one of the writers....

"The first seed of it all came from when [co-writer] Jason Foxworth and I were driving through the desert in Palm Springs and talking about our families. We decided we should do a family-type story, and I had an idea that came from something that happened to me when I was 4 years old: My brother had convinced me that I was adopted. I was crying, and I remember my mom was trying to console me, but my dad was across the room laughing. He thought it was funny, but, I mean, I was traumatized by the whole thing. So Jason and I thought, well, what if we took that idea, this dynamic, but made the brothers as being in a state of complete arrested development in their 30s? And then we went off and did a short ['Momma's Boy'] based on that."

Added to that was the fact that Bryant's girlfriend had been searching for her biological parents in real life for years, a quest that, as Bryant recalls, ended up becoming "a pretty frustrating experience."


 I always find it fascinating when real kids talk about being traumatized by the idea of adoption.... but we're actually not supposed to be. We're emotionally crippled, bitter, angry trolls and should just get over it.

4 complaints from ingrates:

Amy February 26, 2010 at 4:36 PM  

I can't tell you how many times I have wanted to watch a movie and not think about adoption. Never fails

joy February 27, 2010 at 2:04 AM  

That is funny. I have actually thought of starting a movie listing on my blog about movies that you can watch that don't deal with adoption. It always sneaks in.

This one looks good.

Ungrateful Little Bastard February 27, 2010 at 10:31 AM  

Haha- adoptee-safe movies. We need a film festival.

I watched the first half last night but then got a phone call so I couldn't finish watching it.

It was one of those situations where it would be funny if it weren't so true. Like on XMas eve, the two adoptees each get small packages of tools, while the bio kid gets a huge top of the line power saw.

And speaking of tools - a-dad in the film was a huge one. I read one review where the writer was all "Oh, the scene where the adoptive dad tells them why he never told them they were adopted was just so heartbreaking"

It wasn't.

To me a-dad came across as an selfish, lying, emotionally stunted asswipe.

This isn't to say what I've seen so far is a bad film, it's just a little too true to be comedy, know what I mean?

Tonight I have to watch the rest of it.

Ungrateful Little Bastard February 27, 2010 at 11:08 PM  

Alrighty then.

I just finished the rest of it.

I'm definitely leaving it in the "too true to be funny" category.

The scenes with the adoption agency -- having some lackey be able to see your own personal information, but you can't have it. Ugh.

I can't rate it on comedy, because it was just too real. But as a Late Discovery Adoptee / Original Identity Rights movie - it was spot fucking on.

I'm a Fan of Adoptee Rights


I Digg Adoption News

All adoption news

Adoption news RSS feed

Don't like feeds or widgets? Rather read the news in a blog format? Here you go.

Who I'm Stalking


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP